Thursday, January 15, 2009

Rethinking the Dinner Bill Split

After carefully considering the issue of always splitting the dinner bill with a group of people, I decided that, with that particular group of friends that always does it that way, I would be prepared for an even split, thinking: 1) it's part of their culture, how they do things; and 2) it would even out on the occasions that I am a more expensive diner.

But then Steve and I went out with these friends again, and I realized that it will never, ever, even out.  Maybe someday I'll get the lobster and they'll get the chicken, but definitely not on a basis regular enough to make me feel financially comfortable splitting the bill evenly every time.

Let me just reel off our menu choices:
Me: 3 pork tacos, water
Steve: 3 beef tacos, water
Friend 1: 3 chicken tacos, margarita
Friend2 : 7 (not a typo) enchiladas, two beers

Now, while I must admit that the restaurant was having some kind of special, these facts remain:
1) Friends 1 and 2 (who are together), still had more expensive meals, and
2) Friend 2 eats like that no matter what.  Even if there wasn't a special going, Friend 2 would have kept ordering and ordering until satisfied.
3) Friend 2 is always the one that suggests the even split.  I don't know about you, but I think it's a bit suspicious.

I have decided that when we sit down for dinner in the future-- before ordering, I will announce that I am on a budget and can only pay for the food I eat.  In a nice way, of course.

No comments: