Monday, August 18, 2008

Nina-as-a-Consumer Report

It's been a while since I've discussed the dreaded money-draining, yet totally therapeutic topic of shopping. Over the weekend I made a purchase that I had been meaning to make for months and months now, and I have been looking to make another specific purchase for even longer, but have been displeased with the selection the world has to offer. The items? A Ped Egg and black flats.

Let's begin the Ped Egg. Everyone I've spoken to that's tried this thing has loved it. I was a little frightened by the looks of it, because I thought it would scrape off even my healthy skin like a cheese grater. But it's really quite gentle! I've only used it once so far, but I'm really enjoying the soft results. And it's extremely reasonable, at $9.99 at Bed Bath and Beyond! ($8.00 with those mail coupons we love so much.)


And now, the black flats. They're a staple in every girl's wardrobe, yet I can somehow never find the perfect pair. On my all-day shopping trip with Bobbie in April, we found a great pair at J. Crew for a great price. The problem? The hardware on them just wasn't me. I ended up finding a holdover pair at Rainbow (how I love thee for a disposable wardrobe), but didn't think they would have to become THE pair due to lack of choices elsewhere (they are currently a mess, too). But now that fall is nearing, I really need to find a good pair.

So I found these at Urban Outfitters:


I love them because while they are (relatively) basic black flats, they also have some old fashioned charm like tap shoes. My only concern is the price ($30, which isn't bad, but I'm so horrible at spending more than $20 on anything), but because of my year-long black flats dilemma, I'm discovering that staple kicks such as these are actually worth so, so much more. Thoughts?

2 comments:

Bobbie said...

$30 is the new $20.

I like the ped egg... but already need a new one/replacement blades... hmm...

Also, I miss you and want to see Girl Talk.

Madmom said...

Buy the flats. A congrats present to yourself.
Consumer Reports said the Ped egg was great.