Thursday, August 28, 2008

Hey Big Spender!

I don't know where this post is going, but I just feel like writing, so here I am, in my own little publishing house, ready crank something out.

Philadelphia was just ranked #1 in a list of cities that tip best, averaging 19.6%! That's pretty cool. Tipping has been a pretty popular subject lately-- maybe because of that list? I don't when it came out-- so I've been thinking about it a lot. I always tip 20%, and then increase it for extra fabulous service, or if my funds will allow it. I rarely go under 20%, even if the service is sub-par. But how do you get the message across to the server that they need to clean up their act? I usually leave it to the other, not so nice, diners.

But then the big question is this: should diners understand that servers can have bad days too? Or should servers suck it up and deliver with a smile because that's their job? Like most things, the answer is probably somewhere in the middle.

Although my new job is most likely going to be awesome, the pay is still very characteristic of non-profit pay, so I may be looking for a part-time job. I didn't end up getting one before because my schedule was so erratic that it was too difficult to be flexible for both. But now, with the new job, I won't be working any nights or weekends, so I'll be free to work a regularly scheduled part time job. And since this study about tippers came out, maybe I should look into getting something at a restaurant near work.

No comments: