Sunday, November 18, 2007

Thoughts on the Holidays

Oh man, I freakin love the holidays. As I was driving home from work on Friday, hungry for dinner, I realized that this Thursday is THANKSGIVING! The fourth Thursday of November is my favorite holiday for these reasons:

1. Food.
2. Weather.
3. You get the day off (if you don't work at a hotel, yay!) to cook/watch people cook/watch TV and eat. Oh, and give thanks for things you should be thankful for, like not working at a hotel and having the day off.
4. Thanksgiving is the gateway to Christmas and its sister holidays like the eight days of Hanukkah, the seven days of Kwanzaa, the Day of Santa, Christmas eve, and everything else, religious and commercial alike, including the debauchery of the New Year. Holla.
5. Leftovers.

Also, the holidays give people the perfect excuse to use up their personal days, splurge on transportation, and spend way too much time in malls so that they can visit their loved ones and shower them with gifts (and/or lovin). Unfortunately, I do not have any personal days, nor do I have the money to splurge, so, for the very first time in my life, I will not be home for the holidays. Instead, I will be spending both Thanksgiving (which isn't a first) and Christmas (which is) with Steve's family. And that's a nervous post in itself.

To soften the blow, Steve and I are taking a weekend trip to NYC after Thanksgiving because...why not? We'll be too early for tree-lighting, but eh-- that's probably overrated anyway. We're mainly going to ring in our third year together (awwww). The BIG news, though, the real blow-softener, is that Bobbie and Jay are coming to visit in mid-December!!!

I'm preparing myself to be tour guide in a city I still barely know, which is very exciting. I plan to take them to at least two museums, the public market, and of course, South Street for (window) shopping, cheese steaks, and people-watching. It is truly something to look forward to, and I'm about to pee my pants in excitement.

1 comment:

Bobbie said...

Yaaaaaay! I am loving those plans... we are going to have a busy weekend! : )

Hell yeah holiday season!